This take apart repair guide shows how to disassemble the Apple iPad 2 quickly and safely. This guide was designed by the Repairs Universe team and can help you replace a cracked or damaged touch screen glass digitizer, and damaged and faulty LCD display screens, as well as other internal faulty parts such as speakers, flex cables, and buttons.
This guide will help you to install the following Apple iPad 2 parts:
Apple iPad 2 Take apart guide:
- Separate the Screen by putting the flat tool in and gently work the adhesive. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the outside edges of the device, releasing the adhesive. There is a cable under the glass attached from the home button glass. Carefully detach it. Add a little bit of pressure to lift the screen. The digitizer cable is held on the lower left hand side.
- You will see 4 small Phillips screws. Remove the screws. Lift the LCD and you will see a slightly different lock bar. Lift the lock bar up to slide the cable out and separate the LCD.
- Once the LCD is separated, you will see the 2 digitizer cable. You will also need to remove the 2 Phillips screws which are blocking the clips for the digitizer cable.
- Gently lift up the two digitizer cable clips and slide the digitizer cable out of the socket.
- For the front-facing camera, you will notice that it has a cable that runs through a connector for the headphone jack and is controlled together in one socket.
- Lift the clips of the cable controlling the front camera and headphone jack. The cable is adhered so gently slide something underneath the cable to lift it up.
- Pull out the 2 Phillips screws in the headphone board. Slightly slide up the cable. You will see two connectors. Slide a flat tool between the cable and the back of the camera. The front camera and headphone module is now removed.
- Next separate the dock connector and Wi-Fi antenna which is located on the bottom of the iPad 2. You can see a piece of tape over the connection so you would need to loosen it a bit. Once loosened and removed, lift the connector out of the socket. The connector is underneath the speaker connection. Remove the 2 Phillips screws on the dock connector. The dock connector slides right out of the socket.
- Take out the screws for the wifi antenna. Lift up the cable. To completely remove the antenna, you would need to remove the logic board first.
- Lift the cable connector up. Remove the screws that are holding the logic board in place. The board is adhered so slightly pry it up using a flat tool.
- The antenna comes up with the logic board. It is connected by a standard connection. You can then take it out.
- Once the logic board is removed, you can gently lift up the battery as it is only held in place with adhesive.
- Remove the tape near the speaker assembly to remove the speaker. Once the tape is removed, you can slowly remove the speaker assembly.
- Take out the screws that are holding the connectors in place. You will see several thin cables so be sure to carefully pull these out. Remove the iPad 2 back. Remove the screws and gently prying it up to loosen the camera.
- Using a flat tool, gently slide the daughter board out of its connectors. There is a small piece of tape connecting the cables to the daughter board. Unwrap the tape and lift the daughter board from its socket.
- Gently pull the cables. Be very careful with the cables as they easily tear.
- Remove the hold switch, volume rocker.
- Using the tweezers, gently pry up the microphone.
- Poke the switch in to remove the switch assembly and the hold switch.
Repairs Universe's guides are for informational purposes only. Please click here for details.
Learn about restrictions on reproduction and re-use of Repairs Universe's repair/take-apart/installation guides, and about creating hyperlinks to our guides.
Author: Curt Halford on Google+