LG G2 VS980 Take Apart Repair Guide
June 4, 2018 | 0 Comments
In this repair guide we show you how to replace the screen on a LG G2 smartphone. If you have dropped your LG G2 it is likely that the glass digitizer has become shattered and the touch sensitivity and LCD has stopped working. The LG G2 has a bonded LCD and glass touch screen - meaning you will need to replace the entire screen assembly in order to repair a broken digitizer and/or LCD. You can find the LCD & Touch Screen assembly along with other internal parts here.
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
- Safe Open Pry Tool
- Spudger Opening Tool
- Fine Point Tweezers
- Precision Knife Set
- Heat Gun or Hair Dryer
- Adhesive Strips
LG G2 VS980 Take Apart Repair Guide
LG G2 LS980 Teardown Guide (Verizon)
RepairsUniverse shows you how to disassemble your Verizon LG G2 LS980 smartphone with this Official LG G2 Teardown Repair Guide. The instructions we have provided will show you step by step how to teardown and disassemble your LG smartphone to replace or repair a damaged display assembly or internal component. Visit RepairsUniverse.com to learn about the different repair options we offer, all which will help get your Samsung device working like new again quickly, and affordably!
Back Cover Removal
- On the SIM card side of the G2, insert the plastic opening tool in the notch located in the back cover. Work your way around the entire smartphone to gently free the clips securing the back cover to the LG VS980.
- Locate and remove the twelve small Phillips screws (#00) that secure the loudspeaker and rear housing/protective cover to the motherboard (marked with orange circles).
- With the small Phillips screws removed you can now pry up and remove the loud speaker.
Rear Housing Cover
- Now you can remove the rear housing that protects the motherboard.
Power and Volume Button Assembly
- Release the power & volume button assembly?s connection from the motherboard. Use the nylon spudger to peel up the assembly up from the adhesive holding it in place. You can now remove the LG G2 power & volume button assembly.
Front Facing Camera
- Release the front-facing camera?s flex cable connection from the motherboard. You can now pry up and remove the front-facing camera from the LG G2.
Dock Connector and Headphone Jack Assembly
- Locate the two coaxial cable plugs. Use the tweezers to pry up and release the two plugs from their connectors (marked with orange circles).
- Locate the five wafer plug connectors. Use the tweezers or the nylon spudger to release the five plugs from their connectors (marked with white rectangles).
- There is an extended portion of the G2 dock connector assembly located on either side of the battery. Use the nylon spudger to peel up the extended portion of the assembly from the adhesive holding it in place.
- The bottom portion of the dock connector & head-phone jack assembly also has adhesive holding it in place. Use the nylon spudger to pry up and remove the dock connector assembly from the LG G2.
- Be mindful of the microphone ribbon cable that is secured by a rubber grommet in its housing (marked with orange arrow).
Battery and Motherboard
- Release the battery?s connection. The battery is secured in place with adhesive, use the nylon spudger to pry up and remove the battery from the LG VS980..
- Next, locate the two wafer plug connectors. Use the spudger to detach the two plugs from their connectors (marked with white rectangles). This will free the motherboard from the LG G2.
- Now, maneuver the motherboard up and out of the G2 smartphone.
Rear Facing Camera
- Use the fine tip curved tweezers to pry up and remove the rear-facing camera from the LG G2. Be careful as it is secured in place with a small amount of adhesive.
Ear Piece Speaker Assembly
- The ear piece speaker is secured in its housing with adhesive. Use the fine tip curved tweezers to pry up and remove the ear piece speaker from the G2.
- The sensor flex cable is also secured in its housing with adhesive. Use the fine tip curved tweezers to pry up and remove the sensor flex cable from the LG G2.
LCD and Touch Screen Assembly
- The display assembly (LCD & touch screen) are fused together and secured to the frame /front housing of the LG VS980 using a good amount of adhesive. It will require heat, and patience, to separate the display assembly from the frame.
- This procedure is only recommended on a G2 with a DAMAGED display that requires replacement. Use the heat gun or blow drier to heat the adhesive securing the display assembly (LCD & digitizer) to the G2?s frame/front housing. The heat will loosen the adhesive securing the parts together.
Home Button Assembly
- To separate the display assembly from the frame/front housing, utilize one of the screwdrivers and through the front-facing camera hole, while securely gripping the sides of the G2 frame, carefully push the damaged display assembly away from the LG G2?s frame.
- You can now use the plastic opening tool to continue working around the entire G2 display assembly slowly separating it from the frame/front housing.
RepairsUniverse does not accept any liability for damage, or injury caused, while you are following our disassemble guides. We make no representations, warranties, or conditions of any kind, express or implied. Utilizing these guides to assist you in repairing your mobile devices will void your warranty. RepairsUniverse strictly prohibits altering or modifying our teardown guides for commercial use, reproduction, or publication